If you are preparing to head into cancer treatment, there are some things you need to see the dentist before ahead of time. A quick visit can make a world of difference with your care.
Reasons to See the Dentist
First of all, seeing the dentist allows you to feel better during treatment. The procedures are going to cause some side effects inside your mouth. With a dental checkup, you’ll be sure there are no issues currently that should be addressed.
The dentist also helps to protect your jaw, teeth and mouth from damage otherwise caused by the radiation and chemotherapy. This is especially important for children.
If you end up with some of the side effects, it could stop your treatment. That’s why you want to prepare ahead of time with your dentist for any potential oral health reactions.
Protecting Your Mouth
While undergoing treatment, it’s essential that you take steps to protect your mouth. Here’s what you’ll want to do.
- Brush your teeth and mouth often and with an extra-soft toothbrush
- Floss gently every day
- Keep your mouth moist with water
- Avoid mouthwash with alcohol
- Use a saliva substitute if your mouth is dry
- Eat easy-to-chew and soft food
- Avoid spicy, crunchy or sour foods
- Make sure that your drinks and meals are lukewarm instead of hot and cold
- Abstain from all alcohol and tobacco
While this might be a difficult time in your life, your dentist is available to help you through it. Make regular appointments for checkups and work as a team to put cancer behind you once and for all. You deserve to live a long, happy life with a beautiful white smile. Consider your dentist to be a part of your cancer team, and don’t be afraid to reach out for help. See Laurel MD Dentist for more information.